Friday, October 23, 2009

"Water Music?"

The Water Music is a collection of orchestral movements composed by George Frideric Handel.  It premiered on July 17,1717 when King George I requested a concert on the River Thames.  The concert was performed by 50 musicians playing on a barge close to the royal barge where King George I was listening.  It was said that the king loved it so much he ordered the exhausted musicians to play the suite three times on the trip.


This weather makes me think Handel's Water Music!  This morning when I drove to Franklin Elementary to begin my day it was raining.  When I left Franklin to go to East it was sleeting.  After my 3rd period class some of the biggest snow flakes I have ever seen were coming down.  The drive home found the wipers once again pushing the rain off the windshield.  Enough already!

Regardless of the weather it has been a great week!  General Music finished the 1950's decade and will move into the 60's on Monday.  The 7th Grade Concert Band made HUGE progress this week on their selections for the November concert - WAY TO GO!  We had an awesome jazz rehearsal Wednesday morning and will start working on our 3rd song next Wednesday.  More 7th grade students remembered their lesson than the first lesson cycle and I have more 7th and 8th grade practice logs in the drawers this week than last!  After school I looked at mostly empty instrument cubbies which means that a lot of horns went home this weekend to practice!  I think most students are finally establishing a routine (an none too soon as the end of quarter one is rapidly approaching.) If you have questions on practice logs, lessons, music, etc. please ask! I want to make sure everyone understands what is expected of them - and these expectations are designed to make you and the bands successful!

I wish the 8th graders a good weekend of preparation as we head into 8th grade lessons and testing!  I hope everyone finds a little time in their weekend to improve their individual playing - which in turn makes the groups better.  We are changing the game this week - instead of a secret word, tell me the story of Handel's Water Music.  Hopefully the rain will stop long before we need to start building barges to play from!

No comments: